Sunday, May 1, 2011

White Chocolate Cheesecake

My friend Amy linked me to this blog, from which I took this recipe. I am a bit of a klutz when it comes to baking (but not cooking for some reason!), so it was somewhat of a disaster. But the cake still turned out delicious, yet not quite cake-like.

The biggest challenge was melting the white chocolate. The first block I burned. I've got to say though, burned white chocolate is absolutely delicious. Kind of like a caramel cookie. I didn't know what to do when it burned (this was 1 minute + 1 minute + 1 minute in 1200 watt microwave, so anything less nuclear will probably be just right), at first I went through a mental list of friends who could bring me new white chocolate, even thought of the ex's parents that live miles away. Then it struck me -- the dairy down the road! Whoa, this being self-sufficient business is quite a feat!

So here I was, traipsing through Naenae, in pouring rain, in the middle of the cold dark night, in search of white chocolate to go into my cheesecake (yeah yeah uphill both ways in the snow, world smallest violin, etc etc). There was a massive dead seagull on my way even. In fact, I thought it was a dead cat until I saw the wings. Huge.

Naturally, the dairy had every which chocolate bar but white! I did find one block hidden behind some others though, so the cheesecake was saved. Didn't have much luck melting this block properly either, so ended up with a few lumps in the cheesecake. The people at work said it was actually a nice surprise.

I have a silicone cake pan, and didn't quite fit into the baking pan to which you add water. So the cake was misshapen, and when I took the silicone pan out, the cake split as the pan took its original shape. Also, I think I didn't bake the cake enough, so it was a bit mousse-like. It was still delicious though, albeit quite expensive. Dairy is really a luxury item now, isn't it. :( I'm sure it'll be a better cake if I make it another time.

I decorated mine with tinned strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment