Sunday, April 24, 2011

Crunchy Fish Fillets

This is a recipe I picked up at a supermarket -- those little leaflets you get near the checkout.

Recently I've decided that once I've stocked my pantry and freezer with some essentials, I'll just go to the fresh markets on the weekend and get the vege/eggs/fish/meat for cheaper and any dairy stuff at a supermarket. I've spent $280 on countdown online shopping, my freezer is overflowing with frozen meals, and I still spent $40 at the supermarket and $40 at the markets. Hmmm! Oh well, hopefully it'll even out eventually.

I recently watched Hairy Bikers on the Food Channel, and they had a segment on how to butterfly a sardine (now, this is a large sardine, not the type you get in a can!). It seemed easy enough, so I was kind of inspired to get a whole fish. So at the markets I got a whole butterfish to go for this recipe. It was already gutted, but needed filleting.

I've never filleted a fish before, but it seemed easy enough. I probably didn't get as much meat off it as I was supposed to, but butterfish seems like a really meaty fish, so it worked out.

The recipe is really easy - just cover the fish fillets with mayonnaise, and then with a mixture of breadcrumbs, parsley, and lemon zest. Then put under a grill for eight minutes.

It was absolutely delicious. I think it's because the fish was so fresh -- not just freshly bought, but also freshly cut. I have a feeling that the fish starts going 'fishy' as soon as it's filleted, so the meat being inside the fish protected it from that.

Filleting the fish was a fun experience too :)

I served the fish with zucchini fritters and tangy yoghurt sauce.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
grated rind 1/2 lemon
4 x 125g white fish fillets 
1/2 cup Heinz Seriously Good Original Mayonnaise

No comments:

Post a Comment