Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dessert Wine and Raspberry Tiramisu

I got this recipe from The Instant Cook by Donna Hay, page 174.

I think it's pretty vital to buy the packet sponge fingers because if you just use ready made sponge, it won't have enough sweetness. Also, the texture between sponge fingers and sponge are quite quite different.

Mascarpone and whipped cream are almost the same in texture and flavour, and without the sugar of the sponge fingers, it's pretty much just butter! I always thought tiramisu is a difficult dessert to make, but really it's just assembly. Although knowing what goes into it makes me less likely want to eat one - heart attack on a plate! Definitely for sharing.

First things first, find a suitable container. The recipe recommends a 10 cup capacity serving dish. As I was planning to take this to work to share, I used a fairly large plastic container.


Place the cream in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.


 Whisk, whisk, whisk, sore arm. Screw this, bring out the big guns.


Fold the mascarpone through the cream and set aside.
Quickly dip both sides of half the biscuits and layer the base of the container. 13 didn't quite fit into my container, so settled for 12.


Spoon half the cream mixture over the layer of biscuits, and layer with raspberries. Repeat. Dust the top with cocoa and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. 


The sponge cakes come 21 in a pack, so I had two packs. Had enough to make tiny little tiramisu-in-a-lunchbox. I'd make a great mother, really, I would. Start the kid with a heart attack, he'd be the envy of all his chubby peers :)



Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups cream (single or pouring)
500 g mascarpone
1 cup dessert wine (I used Brown Brothers Orange Muscat & Flora)
600 g defrosted frozen raspberries (they only sell this in half kilo packs, so I only used 500 g)
26 store-bought sponge finger biscuits
cocoa powder for dusting (I used one of those chocolate topping duster thingees that come packed with Nestle coffee drinks)

No comments:

Post a Comment